Welcome to 33 Bowen. a Hamilton monument since 1844. Constructed by James Bradley on land purchased from none other than George Hamilton, the building has a rich and eclectic history. At one time or another, someone may have shoed a horse, fixed a car, sampled old-school ginger ale, or enjoyed a steak – all where you sit. Our home the last remaining Bowen Street address, has certainly had an interesting past. We are proud to bring it back to life, and preserve 33 Bowen’s place in the history of Hamilton
Originally, James Bradley used the building as a stable and for Smithing. The location was a few blocks away from Court House Square, and Bradley’s burgeoning business prompted him to create the Court House Hotel and Stable in 1850, to house travelling judges. This space was also used by a cask maker in the late 1800’s.
VERNORS GINGER ALE
Originally based in Detroit Michigan, Vernors Ginger Ale Company used the building for warehouse and distribution in the 1940’s. Vernors is the oldest surviving ginger ale company in the Unites States. You can see their entrance point by the construction style brick on the south wall on the lower level. We are quite sure there are not a lot of delivery trucks that would fit in there today.
CITY CHEVROLET / OLDSMOBILE
In the 1960’s the building was utilized for storage, parts and repairs for City Chevrolet Oldsmobile. Their property was extended north to the end of Bowen Street. They continued to operate in the city for many years.
The culinary history of 33 Bowen St, begins in 1977, when it became Hamilton’s first Keg. The well-known premiere steakhouse eventually opened a Hamilton Mountain location, leaving our building in 1995 – and we think they’ve done pretty well for themselves.
SLAINTE IRISH PUB
Slainte Mhath! The “good health” of 33 Bowen St. continued in 1996 with the opening of Slainte Irish Pub. After closing in 2015, we preserved some of their Irish touch, incorporating imported wood panels on our second floor.
33 BOWEN LOOKS TO THE FUTURE
At 33 Bowen we have taken great steps to maintain the history and integrity of this grand old building. In doing so, we are committed to doing our part to have a cumulative impact on the environment and society. We care about our products and the companies who make them. As a result, we are taking concrete steps to reduce our carbon footprint. We have issued a directive to our suppliers to, where possible, source local products and pay attention to their packaging and delivery standards. We have taken action to use biodegradable straws, monitor our water consumption, reduce single-use plastic, and find renewable energy sources. The storied landmark has stood the test of time, and we hope the measures we have taken will help preserve its history in Hamilton for generations to come.