Welcome to 33 Bowen. The building is a true "Hamilton monument" as the original structure was constructed by James Bradley in 1844 on lands purchased from none other than George Hamilton. The building has an eclectic history. Just think, at one time, where you sit, someone may have shoed a horse. Someone may have slept there, built a casket, fixed a car, sampled old school ginger ale, or enjoyed a pint, a steak or a Billy Miner Pie. It certainly has had an interesting past and is the only remaining building on the street that has a Bowen St address. We are pleased to bring it back to life, and maintain 33 Bowen's proud spot in the history of the city of Hamilton.
Originally James Bradley used the building as a stable and for Smithing. The location was a few blocks away from what was known as Court House Square. Due to his burgeoning business he added rooms above the original structure and created the Court House Hotel and Stable around 1850. The hotel would house travelling judges . He also leased part of the space to a casket maker in the late 1800's
CITY CHEVROLET OLDSMOBILE
In the 1960's the building was utilized for storage, parts and repairs for City Chevrolet Oldsmobile. Their property was located north of 33 Bowen and continued to operate in downtown Hamilton for many years
VERNORS GINGER ALE
Originally based in Detroit Michigan, Vernors Ginger Ale Company used the building for warehouse and distribution in the 1940's. Vernors is the oldest surviving ginger ale company in the Unites States. You can see their entrance point by the construction style brick on the south wall on the lower level. We are quite sure there are not a lot of delivery trucks that would f it in there today.
In 1977 the building became the f irst Keg in the area. It began the initial transition in the culinary history of 33 Bowen. Well known as a premier steak house The Keg eventually opened a location on Hamilton Mountain and closed the downtown restaurant in 1995. ( We think they have done pretty well for themselves)
SLAINTE IRISH PUB
Slainte or Slainte Mhath- translates from Gaelic, meaning good health. Slainte Irish Pub took over the good health of 33 Bowen in 1996. It closed in 2015